PRESS RELEASE – The Windy City ThunderBolts will be celebrating their 20th anniversary season in 2019, and to kick off the celebration, the ThunderBolts have unveiled their 20th anniversary logo. The logo commemorates the 20 years that the franchise has spent in the Frontier League and in Crestwood, Illinois.
Tag Archives: Windy City Thunderbolts
PRESS RELEASE – The Windy City ThunderBolts are proud to announce a major improvement to Standard Bank Stadium for the 2015 season. The ThunderBolts are installing a brand new artificial turf field replacing the natural grass field that has been at the site prior to the stadium was built. Continue reading
PRESS RELEASE – Effective Monday, October 20, 2014 the Windy City ThunderBolts baseball club’s ownership was transferred solely to Al Oremus. The transfer became official on Monday afternoon after the Frontier League approved the transaction by a unanimous vote this past Friday. Oremus, who has owned 20% of the club as a minority owner since 2012, bought the remaining 80% from Dan Brennan and Mike Stranczek. Continue reading
PRESS RELEASE – The Village of Crestwood and the Windy City ThunderBolts are proud to announce that Standard Bank Stadium will greatly improve the fan experience at the ballpark with the addition of a new scoreboard/video board that will be fullly completed by August 1st. Continue reading
PRESS RELEASE – The Windy City ThunderBolts and the Chicago Bandits of National Pro Fastpitch are proud to announce a “Battle of the Sexes” fastpitch softball game at Standard Bank Stadium on Monday, June 23rd at 7 p.m. Continue reading
PRESS RELEASE – The Windy City ThunderBolts are proud to announce that Karen Kenny of Tinley Park was the 1,000,000 fan in franchise history. The moment happened at 6:23 pm on Thursday, August 11, 2011. Going into Thursday’s game the official count was at 999,870. So when Karen Kenny was the 130th fan in the park after gates opened, she became a major part of team history. Continue reading
Neil Milbert, special to the Tribune Newspapers, takes a look at the five minor league baseball options in the Chicago area for fans, including the Single-A Kane County Cougars (Midwest League), and indy pro Joliet Slammers (Frontier League), Gary SouthShore RailCats (American Association), Windy City Thunderbolts (Frontier League), and Lake County Fielders (North American League). Read more here.
The City of Joliet (IL) made a pitch for Frontier League membership on Monday. While no decision was made, the Windy City Thunderbolts reportedly want a $200k payout for territorial intrusion. If true, this is silly, as the Joliet JackHammers are already in the market under a different league banner. In fact, the ‘Bolts would actually benefit from having a new suburban Chicago rival. Read more here.
In challenging economic times, the independent professional teams around Chicago are holding their own. The Northern League’s Gary SouthShore RailCats and Schaumburg Flyers both saw modest per game average attendance increases over last year. The ‘Cats were up 70 per game to 3,539, while the Flyers were up 96 per game to 4,394. The league’s Joliet Jackhammers dropped 597 per game, but their 3,250 average is still respectable. The biggest surprise has to be the Frontier League’s Windy City Thunderbolts, which jumped up 465 fans per game last year to an average of 2,252 in 2009. Read more here.