At the corner of Michigan and Trumbull avenues in Detroit (MI), a ballpark was built there in 1895 and was the site of professional baseball for more than 100 years. The Detroit Tigers made it their home in 1912, and it stayed that way until Sept. 27, 1999, when the last game was played at Tiger Stadium. Barely five miles away in the near north suburb of Hamtramck, the former home of the Negro League Detroit Stars has sat neglected and forgotten for at least two decades. Read more and view photos here.
Tag Archives: Detroit PAL
When the Corner Ballpark opens this week on the old Tiger Stadium site, it will be a field of dreams not only for the city’s children but also young Detroiters looking to break into the sports and entertainment world. Read more and view photo here.
The site of old Tiger Stadium will be known as Willie Horton Field, named after left fielder and designated hitter William Wattison Horton who spent 15 seasons with the Detroit Tigers. A new 2,500-seat baseball facility that will be built on site will serve as the home of the Detroit PAL (Police Athletic League). Read more here.