Hollywood actors, including Matthew McConaughey and John Lithgow, descended on Okotoks (AB) more than a year ago to film scenes for the new sci-fi flick Interstellar hitting theaters Friday, Nov. 7. Read more here. The “stellar” spring-training-like baseball complex owned and operated by the summer collegiate Okotoks Dawgs (Western Major Baseball League) plays a role in the film. In fact, Tourmaline Field, the youth baseball facility next to Seaman Stadium, makes a starring appearance in trailer #2 below:
Speaking of the Dawgs and their complex, there is a lot happening in the off-season, including the following:
(1) A Sportsnet TV national feature called the “Okotoks Wondrous Ballpark Rallying Community.” View cool video here.
(2) An enhanced partnership with the Toronto Blue Jays by bringing Roberto Alomar to their annual banquet as guest speaker.
(3) Upgrades to all facilities in their complex, primarily as a result of increased crowds and plans to host national youth tournaments:
· New Computer & Video Training software
· Completed Men’s and Women’s Washrooms on the 3rd Base side of the concourse;
· New Padding on the home plate backstop
· Concession upgrades and Satellite concessions to alleviate lineups
· New Visitors Change room
· New public washrooms
· New change room/clubhouse facility
· New “deadening” padding for backstop
· New pathways & landscaping
· New roof structure over concourse and new covered Patio for concessions and BBQs
· New field turf flooring in batting cages
· New 9 Inning, 20 foot, Fairplay Scoreboard (similar to Tourmaline Scoreboard)
· New backstop padding behind home plate
· New “brown monster” fencing (16 feet high) in Right Field
· New backstop and netting to match Conrad Field
· New Dugouts
· New 9 Inning, 20 foot, Fairplay Scoreboard
· New Traffic Safety Crossing from Riverside to Tourmaline and Conrad
COACHING ALERT: By the way, the Dawgs are also seeking a “Youth Baseball Academy Pitching Coach.” View job posting here. Seems like a good gig!