Windy City Thunderbolts Under New Ownership

Windy City Thunderbolts LogoPRESS RELEASE – Effective Monday, October 20, 2014 the Windy City ThunderBolts baseball club’s ownership was transferred solely to Al Oremus. The transfer became official on Monday afternoon after the Frontier League approved the transaction by a unanimous vote this past Friday. Oremus, who has owned 20% of the club as a minority owner since 2012, bought the remaining 80% from Dan Brennan and Mike Stranczek.

As the original owner of the Joliet Slammers of the Frontier League, Al Oremus is no stranger to the game of baseball. Oremus was the owner in Joliet when the Slammers won the league title in 2011. He is a founding member of the extremely successful Gravel Baseball program. The program won the AABC national title in 1996 and the NBC World Series title in 2005. Oremus is also the chairman of Illinois Brick Company and his family were the founders and previous owners of Prairie Material ready-mix concrete company.

Standard Bank Stadium is owned by the Village of Crestwood and Mayor Lou Presta had great words for the new owner in an article from the SouthtownStar Newspaper. “There were several people interested in buying the team, but I really wanted Al Oremus because he is such a quality individual. I couldn’t be happier. That’s one of the reasons I wanted him to own the ball club. I know he is a guy who is really interested in helping the community”

This sale ends the club’s eleven year partnership with Dan Brennan and Mike Stranczek. They were the last two remaining partners from the original group that purchased the Cook County Cheetahs from David Arch in the winter of 2003. The group changed the team name to the ThunderBolts for the 2004 season. The ThunderBolts won two league titles, three division championships, and made the postseason four times with Stranczek and Brennan involved with the club.

“Mike Stranczek and Dan Brennan have spent countless hours and resources to keep professional baseball in the South Suburbs of Chicago. The Windy City ThunderBolts wish them well and offer our gratitude for their 11 seasons of ownership,” said ThunderBolts General Manager Mike Lucas. “The ThunderBolts are excited to grow this organization behind Al Oremus. His dedication to the game of baseball is something to look forward to and build on in Crestwood.”

The ThunderBolts are continuing to prepare for the upcoming 2015 season at Standard Bank Stadium. We expect the official Frontier League schedule to be released soon and you can call 708-489-2255 or visit wcthunderbolts.com for more information.

Leave a comment

Filed under Personnel & Operations

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s