PRESS RELEASE – It’s been 75 years since the “miracle meat in a can” known as SPAM was invented, and the State College Spikes are giving the culinary concoction its proper due – and then some – with a Salute to SPAM as part of Tuesday night’s activities at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park.
The Spikes are taking on the Batavia Muckdogs (St. Louis Cardinals) at 7:05 p.m., and fans will enjoy a SPAM-tacular evening complete with SPAM burgers available at Burgertopia on the Spikes Fun Deck in right field.
In addition, nearly all of the Spikes’ on-field contests and activities will also be SPAM-inspired on Tuesday, including:
- A ceremonial first pitch of a hunk of SPAM thrown by Sir Spam-A-Lot
- Bobbing for SPAM
- SPAM Hot Dog Eating Competition
- SPAM Sculpting Contest
- Spam Pizza for The Cove Pizzeria Pizza Scream
- The SPAM-A-Thon – combining a race around the bases with an eating competition to produce the true SPAM superstars
- SPAM Pop-Up Competition – Sir Spam-A-Lot will attempt to catch a can of SPAM in the outfield
- SPAM videos, commercials and songs.
Fans don’t have to worry about their e-mail inboxes, either, as the night will be devoted only to the quintessential American food item.
Single-game tickets for Tuesday’s game, as well as every Spikes regular season home game, are currently on sale through the Spikes Box Office by calling (814) 272-1711 or toll-free at 877-99-SPIKES or by visiting in person. Fans can also buy and print single-game tickets by clicking here.
To learn more about Spikes tickets, including an array of group and other hospitality options, click here.