PRESS RELEASE – The State College Spikes are pleased to reveal their full promotional and event schedule for the 2012 season. Beginning with the Spikes Home Opener on Tuesday, June 19, fans will not only have the opportunity to catch future stars from 14 Major League Baseball teams, but a full slate of fun for the whole family during each and every one of the Spikes’ 38 home dates.
The 2012 schedule is jam-packed with promotions, including 14 fan giveaway items, 12 themed fireworks shows, a collection of special events and entertainment acts, and a revamped Daily Value Promotional Schedule.
The Daily Value Promotional Schedule, back for a fourth straight season, is new and improved for 2012, with a money-saving promotion every day of the week. Returning favorites such as MAJIC 99 4 for $44 Fridays, Big Froggy 101 Half-Price Wednesdays, and Scratch n’ Win Saturday are joined by the new Monday Buck Nights, presented by 95.3 FM 3WZ, T-Shirt Tuesdays, and Kids Eat n’ Play Free Thursday, presented by Dairy Queen Grill & Chill. To browse the Spikes’ entire 2012 Daily Value Promotional Schedule, click here.
The Spikes will also add a new twist to each of the 12 spectacular post-game fireworks nights on 2012 schedule. Each show will have its very own theme, starting with Pop Music after the Home Opener on June 19, and including such diverse themes as Disney (June 24), The Beatles (July 1), Jimmy Buffett (July 15), the Olympics (July 21), Country Music (August 5), Hair Metal (August 17), Penn State (September 2), and more. To read more about the Spikes’ 2012 fireworks schedule, click here.
In addition, 14 of the Spikes’ 38 home dates will include a fan giveaway item, with one-of-a-kind collectibles and useful everyday items all in the mix. Leading the way on the fan giveaway item docket are the John Montgomery Ward Hall of Fame Replica Bust, presented by Northwest Savings Bank (July 12), the Jason Motte/Allen Craig Double Bobble Head Doll, presented by Penn State Sports Medicine, part of Penn State Hershey Bone and Joint Institute (July 14), the Ike the Spike “Dark Spike” Bobble Head Doll, presented by P.J. Harrigan’s (July 19), and the Spikes Six Pack Cooler Tube, presented by HealthSouth Nittany Valley Rehabilitation Hospital (August 24). To read about the entire 2012 fan giveaway schedule, click here.
The Spikes promotional calendar will also include a variety of special appearances and events over the course of the summer. The slate includes returning favorites like the unique and hilarious Cowboy Monkey Rodeo, presented by Metzger Animal Hospital (June 23), Star Wars Night featuring character appearances (July 14), BuccoMania Night with appearances by the Pirate Parrot, Pittsburgh Pierogies and the Cannonball Crew (August 2), and Wise Crackers Comedy Night (September 2). Fans can also catch Ted Batchelor and his crazy fire stunts, presented by Swartz Fire and Safety (July 13), a post-game wrestling match presented by All or Nothing Wrestling (August 25), and $25,000 Winning Inning Night(August 3).
Headline events will include a pair of Bark in the Park Nights, presented by Metzger Animal Hospital (July 2 and August 16), on which fans can bring their dogs to the ballpark, Paint the Park Pink, presented by Mount Nittany Health System, with a Jersey-Off-the-Back Auction to benefit the Foundation for Mount Nittany Medical Center (August 4), the 2012 Team USA Olympic Style Spikes Jersey-Off-the-Back Auction, presented by PSECU, to benefit the Children’s Miracle Network (July 21), and Military Appreciation Night (August 5). To read about the Spikes’ 2012 appearance and event schedule, click here.
If all that were not enough, the Spikes will add a signature touch of zaniness to the promotional schedule with the usual collection of wacky theme nights designed to give fans a chortle and maybe grab some headlines.
- Purr in the Park Night II: “The Cat Scratches Back” (August 27) – The fifth-best theme night in Minor League Baseball returns to #1 in the hearts of cat lovers when the Spikes bring back Purr in the Park Night for the second year in a row. Fans can bring their cats to the ballpark either on a leash or in a portable container, and a record of shots will be required. It will be a “grrrrreat” night as the Spikes pay homage to famous cats as well.
- Ode to the AutoCorrect Night (July 23) – A savior for some, a nuisance for others, the AutoCorrect is a part of everyday life, and the Spikes will give it its due with a whole night dedicated to this typing tool. Fans who need AutoCorrect will compete in a spelling bee, while epic AutoCorrect fails will be highlighted throughout the night. Plus, the iPhone’s Siri will be a special guest PA announcer, and fans frustrated at all of their AutoCorrect misadventures can recycle their smart phones at the ballpark.
- Guys Night Out/Tribute to James Beaver (August 1) – The manliest night on the schedule will spotlight all of the things guys love: action movies, football, burping, half-price beer. In addition, the Spikes will honor James A. Beaver, the 20th governor of Pennsylvania and former President of Penn State University.
- Bieber Fever Night (June 24) – After a deluge of demands from teenage fans, the Spikes will finally salute Justin Bieber with a night totally built around Justin Bieber. Justin Bieber’s music will fill the ballpark as fans compete in a Justin Bieber look-alike contest and get the chance to sing just like Justin Bieber throughout the evening.
- Salute to the 2nd Amendment: “The Right to Bare Arms” (July 1) – As part of Health and Fitness Night at the ballpark, fans wearing sleeveless shirts will receive two tickets for the price of one, giving everyone the chance to get “two tickets to the gun show.”
- Salute to Spam (July 3) – It’s the 75th anniversary of Spam this year, and the Spikes will celebrate this concoction with a look at all of its never-revealed uses, a Spam carving competition, and, if there are any takers, a Spam eating contest.
- The Hunger Games (June 22) – In honor of the hit movie, the Spikes will hold their own “Hunger Games,” with six fans chosen to compete in eating competitions throughout the night.
- Amish Heritage Night (July 16) – Fans will be able to sample a bit of the Amish life at the ballpark at that night’s game with a bake sale, sewing demonstrations, and a butter-churning contest among the activities.
- Happy Valley Night (August 28) – The Spikes are bringing the “Happy” back to Happy Valley with free anger management classes, free massages, and a spotlight on the soothing music of Yanni.
- 100th Anniversary of the Titanic/Celine Dion Tribute (July 24) – The Spikes bring their own 3-D version of the sinking of the Titanic to Medlar Field at Lubrano Park. Ironically enough, it’s also Super Splash Day at the ballpark, but lifeboats will not be needed.
- Japanese Game Show Night (July 11) – Inspired by “Ninja Warrior” and “Most Extreme Elimination Challenge,” the Spikes will turn Medlar Field at Lubrano Park into a Japanese game show, complete with weird characters and bad dubbing.
- Apocalypse Night (June 21) – The Mayan calendar says the world will end in 2012, and the Spikes will help fans count down to the apocalypse while celebrating the 4.6 billion-year run of Planet Earth.
- Guaranteed Win Night (August 6) – It’s simple – the Spikes guarantee that with a win, all fans get a FREE Outfield Bleacher ticket to a future game.
For the complete 2012 State College Spikes promotional and event schedule, click here.