PRESS RELEASE – 2013 is expected to be one of the most anticipated seasons in the 47-year history of the Reading Fightin Phils. Not only will the season be headlined by the debut of the recently-rebranded Fightin Phils and FirstEnergy Stadium’s $1 million video board project, it will also feature both innovative and classic promotions.
“This is an extremely important offseason for the franchise and the citizens of Baseballtown,” said Fightin Phils General Manager Scott Hunsicker. “There were countless hours our staff spent trying to find the perfect promotional schedule to ensure our fans would go home happy each night.”
Individual game tickets for the upcoming 2013 season go on sale Wednesday, Feb. 13 online at Fightins.com, by phone at 610-370-BALL, or at the FirstEnergy Stadium Ticket Office.
6. Cole Hamels/Carlos Ruiz Salt & Pepper Shakers (August 26)-Shake it up with the Cole Hamels/Carlos Ruiz Salt & Pepper Shakers thanks to Unique Pretzels. The first 2,500 adults 15 and over on Monday, Aug. 26 will be able to take the Philadelphia Phillies pitcher/catcher combination home to their personal kitchens with the set. These ceramic shakers will be donned in classic Reading Fightin Phils uniforms and make for the perfect giveaway for any culinary experts.
7. Ryan Howard Action Figure-One of Baseballtown’s all-time greats will be immortalized when the first 2,500 adults 15 and over on Wednesday, July 31 receive a Ryan Howard Action Figure thanks to Bayada Home Healthcare. A cross between Starting Lineup and McFarlane Toys, this giveaway will feature the slugger readying to hit one of his signature home runs.
8. Fightins Harley Game Cap & Fireworks-Always one of the season’s most popular evenings, Harley-Davidson Night will be held on Saturday, Aug. 10 this season. The first 2,500 adults 18 and over will receive a Fightins Harley Game Cap thanks to Classic Harley-Davidson. During the pre-game, motorcyclists in attendance will circle the warning track for a pre-game parade as part of the celebration. Following the game, Classic Harley-Davidson will present a spectacular fireworks display.
After a two-season hiatus, Classic Harley-Davidson will once again be raffling off a brand-new Harley-Davidson motorcycle leading up to Aug. 10. On the field, members of the Fightin Phils roster will be wearing themed jerseys that will be auctioned and raffled. Proceeds from both raffles benefit Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA).
9. 12th Annual Morning Game and Mike Schmidt Mustache Coffee Mug (June 10)-If it’s one thing that has been proved over the past 12 years, it’s that nothing goes together quite like morning games and Reading Fightin Phils baseball. This season, on Mon., June 10, the first 2,000 adults 15 and over will receive a Mike Schmidt Mustache Coffee Mug thanks to Phoebe Berks Village. When one drinks from the Mike Schmidt Coffee Mug, it appears as if you have grown the same whiskers that adorned the Baseballtown great during his Hall of Fame career.
From 6:00 to 7:30 a.m., early birds will be served FREE coffee and hot dogs thanks to Bayada Home Healthcare. Starting at 8:30 a.m., fans will have the opportunity to stroll the warning track to the melodious tunes of Tony Farina.
10. Fightin Phils Socker Boppers (June 2)-A main focus of the Reading Fightin Phils new logo is the clenched fists of the ostrich and the popping “F-Fist” design. Going along with that popular look will be a Fightin Phils Socker Boppers giveaway on Sunday, June 2 to the first 2,000 kids 14 and under thanks to Ehrlich Pest Control. The air inflated boxing pillows make for soft, safe fun for kids of all ages.
11. Cole Hamels Old School Bobblehead (July 16)-In 2005, a young first round draft pick of the Philadelphia Phillies made his Double-A debut with the Reading Fightin Phils. That pitching virtuoso was Cole Hamels, and on Tuesday, July 16, he will be honored with a Cole Hamels Old School Bobblehead. The first 2,500 adults 18 and over will receive the bobblehead courtesy of CJ’s Tire and Automotive Services.
12. Gluttony Night (July 1)-Easily one of the most popular promotions in the past five seasons, Gluttony Night will be returning to FirstEnergy Stadium on Monday, July 1. Get a jump start on your Independence Day picnics by stuffing your face during this feeding frenzy. From the time the gates open until the end of the seventh inning, Fightins fans will be able to participate in the all-you-can-eat promotion at the stadium’s concession stands.
13. Fightin Phils Retired Numbers T-Shirt: Schmidt, Sandberg, Roberts, and Robinson (July 15)- Over the 47-year history of the Reading Fightin Phils, just four numbers have been permanently retired. On Monday, July 15, Texstyles Screen Printing and Embroidery and Keystone Tees will present a Fightin Phils Retired Numbers T-Shirt for the first 2,500 adults 15 and over. Celebrate the Hall of Fame careers of Mike Schmidt, Ryne Sandberg, Robin Roberts, and Jackie Robinson with the only t-shirt giveaway of 2013.
14. 30 Fireworks Shows- 2013 will feature the most post-game fireworks shows in the history of FirstEnergy Stadium. Starting on Friday, April 26, fans will be bedazzled every Friday and Saturday throughout the season. Each Thursday evening game starting in June, Pepsi will present fireworks shows until the end of the season. Overall, fans will have 30 chances to come to Baseballtown and witness the best fireworks display of the summer.
15. Mother’s and Father’s Day (May 12 and June 23) – Year in and year out, the Reading Fightin Phils have been named Best Family Destination by Berks County Living. What better way is there to honor the mothers and fathers of Berks County than with the Fightin Phils Mother’s Day and Father’s Day games?
On Sunday, May 12, the first 2,000 women 15 and over will receive a Mother’s Day Fightin Phils Tote Bag thanks to thirty-one. The afternoon also doubles as the Breast Cancer Awareness game where the Fightins will be wearing pink jerseys. Those jerseys will be auctioned and raffled with proceeds benefitting PA Breast Cancer Coalition. Also, thanks to Royer’s Flowers and Gifts, the first 1,000 women 15 and over will receive a carnation. As part of the celebration, sons and daughters will be able to introduce their mothers on the field prior to the game.
A month later, it is dad’s turn to be celebrated with Belated Father’s Day at FirstEnergy Stadium. The first 2,000 men 15 and over will receive a Fightin Phils Neck Tie thanks to Center for Urologic Care of Berks County. The team will be donning Prostate Cancer Awareness uniforms that will be auctioned and raffled to benefit ‘Us Too’ Prostate Cancer Support Network. During the pre-game, sons and daughters will be able to introduce their fathers on-field. There will also be special VIP First Pitch Packages available where the child pitches to dad. Following the game, all fans are welcome to play catch on the field with dad thanks to 69 News Berks Edition.
16. Fightin Phils Mascot Band presented by National Penn Bank and Music in VIST Bank Plaza- For over a decade, the Fightin Phils Mascot Band has been rocking out with fans in Reading thanks to National Penn Bank. This season, Quack the Duck, Blooper the Hound Dog, Bucky the Beaver, Change-Up the Turtle, and Screwball will be performing on the Weston Center Winning Smiles Stage on the following Saturdays: May 11, May 18, June 1, June 8, June 22, July 13, July 27, August 10 and August 24.
VIST Bank Plaza will also feature such crowd-pleasing acts like Jeff Krick on Elvis Tribute Night (July 29), Good Lovin’ Jam Band on Dead Head Night (June 12), John Hain on Parrot Head Night (June 18), Alligator Blues, Uptown Band, and many more!
17. Phillie Phanatic (June 11 and August 11) – Recognized globally, the Phillie Phanatic will be stopping in Baseballtown on both June 11 and August 11 to entertain thousands of fans with his brand of hijinks and merrymaking. The Philadelphia Phillies’ mascot will be at FirstEnergy Stadium throughout both games. Appearing on ESPN, NBC’s 30 Rock, and Rocky Balboa, the Phanatic has been dazzling crowds since 1978.
18. Wrestling Legend and Movie Star Kevin Nash Appearance with Autograph and Photo Session; Kevin Nash VIP Meet & Greet; Tribute to Professional Wrestling with Post-Game Wrestling (August 1)-He has wrestled in WWE, WCW, and TNA and has acted in such blockbusters as Magic Mike, Rock of Ages, and The Longest Yard. On Thursday, Aug. 1, Kevin Nash will be dropping in at FirstEnergy Stadium for the annual Tribute to Professional Wrestling Night thanks to All Star Distributing/Pabst.
“Big Daddy Cool” will be on hand during the pre-game for a VIP Meet & Greet session from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. Tickets for the limited access event cost just $20. During the game, the former WWE and WCW Champion will be participating in an autograph and photo session for the general public.
Following the game, VIST Bank Plaza will play host to a card of wrestling matches as part of the night’s festivities.
19. Crazy Hot Dog Vendor Pillow Buddy and FREE Loaf of Bread (July 14) – Did you ever want to practice your ostrich-riding skills at home with the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor? Well, now you can with the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor Pillow Buddy giveaway on Sunday, July 14 thanks to Stroehmann’s. The first 2,000 kids 14 and under will be able to take Baseballtown’s favorite mascot wherever you go with this one-of-a-kind giveaway. Parents will also be included in the fun of the afternoon game with a FREE loaf of Stroehmann’s bread giveaway to first 2,000 adults 15 and over.
20. Fightin Phils Superhero Cape and Autograph Session (June 9) – WAM! BAM! SWOOSH! Kids 14 and under can fight for justice when Betty’s Salads present the Fightin Phils Superhero Cape giveaway on Sunday, June 9. These new junior superheroes will also be able to meet a cavalcade of heroes from all realms, including the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor, during a Redner’s Kids Club Members-Only Meet and Greet Autograph Session starting at 11:30 a.m.
21. “Your Head on the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor’s Body” Blanket (May 19)- Each summer, thousands of children come to Baseballtown and clamor to be the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor. Those hopes will be a reality to the first 2,000 kids 14 and under on Sunday, May 19 when Metro PCS presents a “Your Head on the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor’s Body” Blanket. When kids pull the blanket up to their necks, it will appear as if they are riding Rodrigo around the friendly confines of FirstEnergy Stadium.
22. Fightin Phils Alarm Clock (July 28) – Make the Fightin Phils part of your everyday routine with the Fightin Phils Alarm Clock giveaway thanks to Redner’s Warehouse Markets. With the giveaway, the first 2,000 kids 14 and under on Sunday, July 28 will never have to worry about running late for Fightins games or summer activities. As soon as you wake up, you’ll be thinking Fightin Phils baseball thanks to the alarm clock promotion.
23. Seat Cushion (June 19) – Be it football, hockey, soccer, and of course, baseball, you can make the Fightins part of your sporting event experience when the team gives the first 2,000 adults 15 and over a Fightin Phils Seat Cushion thanks to Willow Creek Veterinary Center on Wednesday, June 19. The cushion is easily mobile for your active needs and will let you show your Fightins pride year-round.
24. Fightin Phils Team Baseball Card Set (August 25)-One of baseball’s most traditional giveaways over the sport’s history has been the baseball card. On August 25, the first 2,000 kids 14 and under will receive a Fightin Phils Team Baseball Card Set honoring the 2013 squad courtesy of Good Neighbor Pharmacy. Along with the giveaway, there will also be a Fightin Phils Team Autograph Session for Redner’s Warehouse Markets Kids Club members beginning at 11:30 a.m.
25. Fightin Phils Poster/Autograph Session and Chocolate Baseball Glove (April 28)-The first 2,500 kids 14 and under will receive a Fightin Phils Poster thanks to Reppert’s Candies on Sunday, April 28 at 1:35 p.m. Kids will be able to dress up their bedroom walls with photos of their favorite Fightin Phils players on the 2013 squad. They will also be able to meet the 2013 Fightin Phils roster during a Redner’s Warehouse Markets Kids Club Autograph Session at 11:30 a.m.
Reppert’s will also give the first 1,500 kids 14 and under a chocolate baseball glove on April 28.
The Fightin Phils will kick off their home schedule on Friday, April 12 at FirstEnergy Stadium when the team takes on the Erie SeaWolves. Savage 61 Fightins VIP Club plans and group tickets for 2013 can be purchased online at Fightins.com, by phone at 610-370-BALL, or by visiting the FirstEnergy Stadium Ticket Office.